- cane : Gk.L.kanna = あし, とう
- (noun) A slender, strong but often flexible stem, as of certain bamboos, reeds, or rattans.
- (noun) A plant having such a stem.
- (noun) Such stems or strips of such stems used for wickerwork or baskets.
- (noun) A bamboo (Arundinaria gigantea) native to the southeast United States, having long stiff stems and often forming canebrakes.
- (noun) The stem of a raspberry, blackberry, certain roses, or similar plants.
- Morefield Storey, one of Sumners biographers, says Brookss cane was a heavy gutta-percha cane and that the blows were continued until the cane broke.