- canal : L.canalis = pipe(管, パイプ), channel(溝)
- (noun) An artificial waterway or artificially improved river used for travel, shipping, or irrigation.
- (noun) Anatomy A tube, duct, or passageway.
- (noun) Astronomy One of the faint, hazy markings resembling straight lines on early telescopic images of the surface of Mars.
- (verb-transitive) To dig an artificial waterway through: canal an isthmus.
- (verb-transitive) To provide with an artificial waterway or waterways.
- Before these impervious forest retreats were thus pierced, they could not have tasted human blood; for ages it must have been unknown to them, even by tradition; and if they taxed all other boats on the canal as they did, ours, a _canal share_ with them must be considerably above par, and highly profitable.