- butter : L.butyrum, Gk.bous = cow (牛)
- (noun) A soft yellowish or whitish emulsion of butterfat, water, air, and sometimes salt, churned from milk or cream and processed for use in cooking and as a food.
- (noun) Any of various substances similar to butter, especially:
- (noun) A spread made from fruit, nuts, or other foods: apple butter.
- (noun) A vegetable fat having a nearly solid consistency at ordinary temperatures.
- (noun) Flattery.
- But it is not so readily digestible as butter is; is more liable to give rise to the butyric acid fermentations in the stomach; is not nearly so appetizing; and its sale as, and under the name of, _butter_ is a fraud which the law rightly forbids and punishes.